Works in Progress, February edition
February 3, 2011 Leave a comment
We managed to record two more basic tracks tonight – Footsteps and Art School Girl – and I have a pretty optimistic feeling about both of them. I was surprised at how different the ukulele sounds through Patrick’s Amp: it sounds like a guitar with a capo on the 15th fret.
This of course is after I learned yet another lesson. See, we had been short a couple of XLR XLR microphone cables in our previous session, so I figured I should buy a couple. Guitar Center, being who they are, have any color you want, as long as it’s black. Anyone who has had to lay cabling knows that the hard part is telling one from the next, so I had the oh-so-bright DIY idea that I should just paint them different colors, which I did last Sunday (one has white streaks, one has red streaks).
Except the paint just wouldn’t quite dry – I tried changing the temperature (moving it inside instead of the cellar), rubbing it with paper and then cloth, wiping with damp cloths, but nothing actually would change the hand-feel of the painted cable from “slightly sticky” which has the sense that the paint will rub off on whatever it happens to brush against. Argh.
I mentioned it to a coworker who used to be a musician, and he said “oh, of course – latex paint will degrade the pvc, and most cables are actually made of pvc, so that won’t ever dry.” D’oh!
So my DIY solution to this for the cable we needed tonight was to run duct tape along the length of the cable, effectively encapsulating the frustrating paint. I chalk this up to yet another duct tape success story, and proof that like The Force, it has a light side, a dark side, and binds the universe together.